I.T.F International TaeKwonDo Federation History
I.T.F. is the International Taekwon-Do Federation, founded on March 22nd 1966 by General Choi Hong Hi, who developed Taekwon-Do, to promote the teaching of this martial art.
At that time, nine countries were involved: Korea, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, West Germany, USA, Turkey, Italy, and Egypt. Taekwon-Do is now taught in almost every country in the world, and General Choi is recognized as the Father of Taekwon-Do.
Please note: I.T.F. has splintered into many different fractions since the passing of General Choi – which one is the real I.T.F. no one knows, as all claim to be the real I.T.F.
- 1966 March 22nd – I.T.F. founded by General Choi Hong Hi, the Father of Taekwon-Do
- 1969 First Asian Tournament, Hong Kong
- 1972 I.T.F. headquarters moved to Toronto (Canada)
- 1974 First World Championships, Montreal (Canada)
- 1976 First European Championships, Amsterdam (Netherlands)
- 1979 First Pacific Championships, Wellington, (New Zealand)
- 1982 North American Federation created
- 1983 Central American Federation created
- 1985 I.T.F. headquarters moved to Vienna (Austria)
- 2002 June 15th – I.T.F. world mourns death of General Choi Hong Hi
- 2002 Grand Master Hwrang creates the Unified I.T.F. to house all I.T.F. groups
- 2002 Chang Ung is appointed as President of I.T.F.
- 2002 Master Choi Jung Hwa VIII takes up the presidency of I.T.F.-C group
- 2002 Master Tran Quan is appointed as President of I.T.F.- V group
2014 the I.T.F. of 2002 has passed along with the arts founder, this is a fact many practitioners now agree on. I.T.F. is now split into many segments with all claiming to be authentic, this is right as all come from the original tree once called ‘I.T.F.’ who is the real I.T.F. no one knows and no one seems to care as most now days will accept all are from the original and most just try and work with all so the Generals wish of one TaeKwon-Do seems to have happened.
There are some very senior Masters / Leaders however who still make false claims around the globe that only they are tru by trying to undermine other ITF’s but to be honest most do not recognise or even aknowledge them now as the respect has been lost.